Dear Students and Families of Beamsville Secondary,
We hope you have had a restful winter break and stayed healthy and safe. On January 3rd, the Ministry of Education announced that all schools will not return to in-person learning until at least January 17th. During this closure period, all students will participate in online learning, beginning on Tuesday, January 11th. Monday, January 10th will be used for staff to prepare materials, communicate with students, and connect with families who may require assistance with remote learning.
DSBN Secondary schools will continue to follow the four-period daily bell schedule. Students will need to check their D2L Brightspace or Google classrooms on Tuesday January 11th for directions from their classroom teacher. Teachers will provide synchronous and asynchronous learning opportunities to students. Students should login during their regular classroom schedule (Period 1, 2, 3, or 4).
- Coop students may attend placements and will receive directions from their teacher
- Home Build students will not be participating in the Home Build and will receive directions from their teacher
- Dig IT students will receive directions from their teacher
- Niagara Link students will receive directions from their teacher
- Connecting to College programs will continue online as usual
- Alternative Education programs will transition to online learning and students will receive directions from their teacher
- eLearning courses continue as usual
If you require a Chromebook, or require assistance with internet access, please reach out to the school. Email [email protected] if you have any questions.
- All in person clubs and sports are cancelled during this time. Clubs may choose to meet virtually.
- Student attendance will not be taken on January 10th.
- Regular attendance protocols will come into effect on January 11th. Students are to log into their virtual platforms as instructed by their teachers, following the same bell times as a regular school day. Teachers will offer a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning models.
- Parents can continue to report absences in Safe Arrival.
- Safe Arrival will continue with callouts to parents regarding absences.
- In light of the current circumstances, there will not be formal exams. Your teacher will provide you with more information on your summative culminating assessments.
- There will not be regular classes during the scheduled exam/culminating days. Each day will be allotted to completing culminating activities as directed by your teacher.
- Here is a calendar to guide the remaining days of the semester.
On overview of January:
Jan. 10: No school while schools prepare for remote learning.
Jan. 11 - Jan. 14: Remote learning (follow your school’s regular bell times & look for virtual instructions from your teacher).
Jan. 17 - Jan. 25: In-Person Learning may resume. Students who may require remote learning should follow their regular school bell schedule.
Jan. 26 - Jan. 30: Culminating activities scheduled by period - teachers will provide further details. Further details for students in the SSTC program will be forthcoming.
Jan. 31 - Feb. 1: No classes (connect with your teacher if assignments are still owing).
Feb. 2 is a PD Day.
Feb. 3 is the first day of Semester 2.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we navigate the end of semester one. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to your child’s teachers or the main office.